Friday, September 20, 2013

"It does not require many words to speak the truth"...Chief Joseph

That quote came to mind this past week.  I was asked to provide some photographs for communities members on the Navajo Nation.  Photographs I had made in 2006 and 2008.  Photographs depicting the truth.
In 2006 I made a portrait of Alice Gilmore at her sister's grave site. (Note the stone with shovel to the left of Alice). Alice had taken me to the grave site asking me to document it.  Her fear was the site would be desecrated by the mining.
In 2008 Alice asked me to return to the site with her.  We found heavy equipment tracks and disturbance to the grave site. Questions were asked, no answers were received.

Last week in a meeting with the Office of Surface Mining and Navajo Nation, community members were accused of lying regarding grave site desecration by mining activities.  I am providing these and additional photographs as evidence in an upcoming meeting.

"It does not require many photographs to speak the truth".

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment