Sunday, May 11, 2014

China Express at the Lummi Nation
 
There are moments in our lives which are sometimes hard to express in words.  The China Express exhibit at the Lummi Nation this past week held one of those very special moments for me.
I met Swil Kanim a member of the Lummi Nation.  He is a classically trained violinist, native storyteller and actor. He was born in Seattle, WA and grew up in the Bellingham, WA area. Separated from his parents and his tribe at a young age, he spent the remainder of his childhood in fostercare. Swil created the HonorCoin Project.

The HonorCoin is a physical representation of the spiritual impact which is created when the Honor of a person is recognized and acknowledged.  Shasta Cano-Martin, Lummi Tribal Council Member, gifted an honorcoin to me for "demonstration of honor--in telling this story through photographic images".

I feel greatly honored to have received this special coin from the Lummi Nation.  To all of my Lummi sisters and brothers, I say "thank you".  Thank you for what you represent and for the important lessons you share.

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment