Thursday, December 3, 2009

Changing Times:

I have been thinking of the song "For the Times They Are a Changing". Looking back at my first post last March...the past months have brought many changes. I read this morning 7.3M jobs have been lost in the U.S. since December 2007. When I was in New York last month the talk on the street was about the loss of over 34,000 jobs since January 2009 in the newspaper/magazine industry. Budgets have disappeared which enabled photographers to properly bring complete stories to the public. Headlines this morning: "Comcast buys NBC". New entertainment ahead...

Changes? Yes. Business as usual? No. New opportunities? Yes.

The coal stories I have been working on this past year have shown me how limited the major media support is for social and environmental justice stories in the U.S. My goal is to address important social justice and environmental justice issues that affect us all. In 2010 I will expand the scope and locations of the coal stories. Exhibits and public lectures at Universities are scheduled and in planning stages. Redux Pictures will be working to syndicate the stories nationally and internationally. I will make regular posts here as I work "on the road".

The coal project: Question of Power is a non-profit Federal (501c3). The essays and issues advocate for positive social change. The goal: to educate, stimulate an awareness, and create change. To..."show America to Americans". 2010 will be a very busy year, we have alot of work to do. Several individuals have contacted me to ask how they can help. To find out how you can help click here. Many thanks to each and everyone for your continued support. For the times..."they are a changing"...and they hold many great opportunities for positive change.

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment