Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Suella "Sue" Hudson - Bokoshe, Oklahoma:

When I arrived in Bokoshe, OK last August the first individuals I met were Sue Hudson and her daughter Susan. Meeting Sue for the first time was just like seeing a long lost friend after many years. As we sat drinking coffee in Sassy's Cafe Sue was open and generous sharing her story of Bokoshe with me.
Sue moved to Bokoshe in 1978 and opened Hudson Corner Convenient Store with her husband Jim Hudson. After Jim's death she and her daughter Charlee established Charlee's Gourmet Beef Jerky in 1994. I watched the sparkle in Sues eyes as she shared her story of the "secret recipe" they developed together for the jerky. Suddenly one day Charlee became ill and within two weeks was taken by cancer. Sue reached up and handed me a picture of Charlee. "This is one of the reasons I became active in the citizens group, B.E. Cause, here in Bokoshe. I know the coal ash is causing health problems in our community." She felt strongly about protecting the environment for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Shortly after I returned from my August trip to Bokoshe I received a call from Sue's daughter Susan. "Mom has not been feeling too well, we just found out she has cancer with only a few months to live."

I returned to Bokoshe in December to work more in the community. I visited with Sue. The same sparkle was in her eyes, the same warm smile across her face.

Sue completed her journey on the surface of Mother Earth on January 1, 2011. She left many gifts behind. Thank you Sue for your gift of the lessons of determination and sharing. For the sparkle in your eyes and your smile. For your spirit to protect the environment and the communities in which we live. For your voice to create a better future for our grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment