Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Living and Breathing on Mine Road
I met Charles Tackett on my first trip to Bokoshe, OK in August of 2010.  Charles lives with his wife and daughter on Mine Road.  The Making Money Having Fun LLC coal ash disposal site is located less than a 1/4 mile down the road.
I photographed Charles in 2010 standing in his front yard as coal ash trucks rumbled down the road.  The air was constantly filled with light gray ash from the trucks.  Charles told me, "I have an undefined lung problem".
Filters from his air conditioner clogged with coal ash needed to be changed every two weeks.
Last week I was back in Bokoshe on Mine Road.  Coal ash continues to coat the road.  It has been 2 1/2 years since I have seen Charles.
I was greeted at the door by Lisa, Charles' wife.  "Come on in, he's waiting to see you.  He needs to be on oxygen 24/7 now just to breathe.  He has a difficult time keeping his lungs clear.  He's not able to work."  Visiting with Charles, he told me he was 57 years old, but felt much older.

Unregulated coal ash continues to take a heavy toil on the community of Bokoshe.

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment