Thursday, August 8, 2013

Striping in Sturgis - Old School Art

Kenny “Von Dutch” Howard is credited with reviving the pinstriping of cars and motorcycles in the mid-forties. Starting as a motorcycle mechanic, Von Dutch borrowed brushes from his dad (a sign painter and designer in southern Los Angeles) to pinstripe a motorcycle from the shop.
Ken Smith from Ft. Worth, TX studied with Von Dutch to learn the art of striping.  "I hung out with Dutch.  Watched him work. He is still talking to me today in my head as I work.  I can hear him now;  square those corners."
Ken mixes his colors by eye.  Fills his brush. Lays down a line with a steady hand.
Ken's eye, hand, and creative mind work as one.  No tape, no pattern.
Ken finishes the design and lifts his brush.  "Less is always more."
Old school art never looked better.

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment