Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rusty Snaps:

Been in so much rain lately the snaps on my leathers are beginning to rust. You might ask...how wet can you get on a motorcycle? If you could see my motel room tonight with clothing hanging everywhere you would answer that one.

Watched all the tornado activity last night. About 3AM this morning a large cell came into Cuba with heavy winds and rain. Mid morning the sky began to lighten so I decided to get back on 66.
Hooker Cut is a four lane section of the Mother Road with one of the deepest rock cuts in the U.S. The road was dry and I had it all to myself. Off to the left I spotted the Mule Trading Post and pulled in.
Daryl was sitting at the front desk and met with with a friendly "Howdy".
The Mule Trading Post has been located on Route 66 for over sixty years. You can find everything from frying pans, old vinyl records, to classic Route 66 "collectibles". The "Memorial Day Specials" appeared to be from a few years past.

Back on the road for a few miles and very quickly the sky turned coal black. I saw an old gas station ahead. Stopped under the covering and discovered the station was now the home of a florist shop. Met Darlee inside arranging flowers. She graciously offered me shelter from the storm complete with a storm cellar if needed. Hail the size of golf balls fell from the sky for over thirty minutes. Two hours passed and there was a break in the sky. I only needed to go thirty more miles to find a motel. Seemed like a short distance, not so. Within a few miles another downpour. This time I spotted an old barn and took refuge. A woman came out and offered me a chair to wait it out. What friendly and neighborly folks in Missouri.

At the Munger-Moss Motel in Lebanon tonight. My room here is an "original" 1950 decor. When I checked in the owner said..."feel free to park you bike by your door to keep it out of the weather....."
Like I said...friendly, neighborly folks here in Missouri.

be strong, be safe, Carlan

No comments:

Post a Comment