Thursday, June 14, 2012

A community to which we belong:

No internet connection last night.  A day behind.  As I rode today my thought was to write about the past two days since leaving Moab.  But that needs to wait.  We will catch up later.  I need to share today with you.

Beginning this morning the road carried me through Bridges National Park, Lake Powell, and into Capital Reef National Park.  A quote I remembered from long ago kept running through my mind as the landscape wrapped itself around me.  "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us.  When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect." - Aldo Leopold.
Colorado River crossing  Glen Canyon
Glen Canyon
Colorado and Dirty Devil Rivers - Beginning point of the Powell Expedition
Capital Reef
Capital Reef
Capital Reef
Navajo Dome - Capital Reef
Capital Reef
Tonight I am filled with a deep sense of community, community with the land, community with all living things.  A love and respect for the community to which we belong.


be strong, be safe, Carlan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment